As you prepare to vacate your apartment, please refer to the terms of your Residential Tenancy Agreement and your responsibilities outlined below which must be fulfilled before you leave.
As per York Apartments Residential Tenancy Agreement:
15. Termination by Resident
The Resident acknowledges that the Resident must give at least sixty (60) days written notice of intention to vacate the apartment and end the Tenancy Agreement. The date of termination shall be on the last day of a rental period (last day of the month). Notice is to be mailed or hand delivered by the Resident to the Housing & Conference Services Office and must be confirmed by both Resident and Landlord signing a Form N11, Agreement to Terminate a Tenancy.
A Housing & Conference Services staff member will inspect the condition of your apartment before and after you move out. You will be notified of the pre-inspection at least 24 hours in advance but typically within one week of your move-out date. We expect to find reasonable wear and tear. Damage and excessive dirt do not constitute wear and tear.
- Clean the refrigerator and remove all the food; Do not unplug the refrigerator.
- Clean the oven and stove top; move the fridge and stove away and clean behind and under the appliance. Heavy duty cleaners such as Easy-Off are recommended. Be careful not to get oven cleaner on the tile floor – it will stain and may result in charges to your account for tile replacement. Refer to product information on the container.
- Clean all grease build-up on kitchen floors, walls, counter and cupboards inside out.
- Clean all bathroom fixtures.
- Close all windows and ensure all water taps and lights are turned off.
- Remove all your personal belongings from the apartment.
- Deposit all garbage down the chute or take it to the compactor room on the main floor.
- Passy residents should take their household garbage to the garbage bins located on the South side of Passy sidewalk.
- Dispose of all recycling into the bins provided outside each apartment building.
- If you have a storage locker - clear out all belongings.
- If you have any items for donation, please place them in the Oasis bin located at Passy sidewalk and do not leave them in the hallways or lobby area.
- If you have any broken items that you do not wish to keep, bring them to the loading dock garbage room area. For Passy residents, please bring them to the garbage bin area on the sidewalk.
- Return all keys/keycards you were issued (i.e. apartment, building entrance, mail and locker keys).
|Cleaning Charges||Repair/Replacement Charges|
|Floors||$50.00||Carpet Stains/Holes||$200.00 and up|
|$25.00 and up
|Oven/Stove||$50.00||Mattress||$125.00 and up|
|Fridge||$15.00||Sofa||$150.00 and up|
|Cupboards||$10.00||Chair (each)||$130.00 and up|
|Cabinet Doors||$15.00||Table (each)||$180.00 and up|
|Walls (per room)||$20.00||Disposal of Garbage & Personal Belongings||$50.00|
Note: Actual charges will be determined upon apartment assessment. Any/all applicable damage and cleaning charges will be invoiced to your Student Account and it will be your responsibility to pay any outstanding debt on your account even if you are no longer enrolled.
Housing & Conference Services will not contact InRes Services or external service providers to request or cancel services. Residents must contact InRes or other service providers directly.
- Empty all mail boxes.
- Update your forwarding address through the Registrar’s Office and click on “Change My Profile”.
- Contact Canada Post in advance to forward your mail to your new address. You will not be allowed access to your mailbox after you vacate your apartment.
Do not hold the elevator doors open as this could result in mechanical failure.
We hope your stay at York University Apartments was a pleasant one and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
Note: Housing & Conference Services strives to ensure the completeness and accuracy of information contained on this website, however, we reserve the right to change any of the information at any time without notice.