York Apartments Residents Handbook

York Apartments Community BBQ
Welcome to the York University Apartments!

We are a living and learning community for graduate students, law students and students with families. Housing & Conference Services strives to provide responsive customer service to make your stay a comfortable one. Housing & Conference Services and students will work together to provide a respectful living environment that is conducive to study and academic success for the entire York Apartments community.

Housing & Conference Services & Residence Life

York Apartments is managed by Housing & Conference Services and operate under the Ontario Residential Tenancies Act (Brochure: A Guide to the RTA). Housing & Conference Services oversees the occupancy administration, overall physical building management including cleanliness and maintenance operations in accordance with the RTA. They also liaise with other campus service providers such as Grounds and University Information Technology Services so residents’ needs are met during their stay.

Residence Life, which is part of the Division of Students, provides community building initiatives, personal support, and assists with community management for students living in the York Apartments. This is accomplished through the Community Life Coordinator. Housing & Conference Services & Residence Life work hand in hand to provide a positive experience for residents and ensure that a positive student friendly environment is maintained.

Leases and Termination of Leases

York University Apartments operate under the provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act S O 2007. The Residential Tenancy Agreement defines the duration and conditions of occupancy to which residents have agreed. 60 days written notification to terminate the Residential Tenancy Agreement is mandatory at all times. As per the RTA: “Section 44 (2) A notice under section 47, 58 or 144 to terminate a monthly tenancy shall be given at least 60 days before the date the termination is specified to be effective and that date shall be on the last day of a rental period.” The “Agreement to Terminate a Tenancy Form N11” is available in the Housing Office for this purpose. Please refer to the terms of your Residential Tenancy Agreement.

All residents of York U Apartments, regardless of the duration of their stay, are required to provide 60 days notification prior to moving out by submitting an Agreement to Terminate a Tenancy Form N11 to the Housing Office. Residents who abandon their apartments without giving a notice will be charged for the mandatory 60 days, and any other applicable charges.

Allowable Occupancy

All apartment types are leased to one Resident only who is responsible for the terms and conditions of the lease including payment of fees. The Resident must be a York student in good standing. All other sharers/occupants must meet the occupancy criteria as described below and must be registered by the Resident in the Housing information system. Families with children will be given priority for two-bedroom units.

  • Bachelor - one student
  • 1-Bedroom - one student or a family of three
  • 2-Bedroom - two students or a family of four
  • 2-Bedroom penthouse - three students or a family of four

Illegal Sublet/Rental

Please be advised that allowing another person to live in your unit without the knowledge of Housing & Conference Services is a contravention of the Residential Tenancy Agreement. York Apartments is exclusively for the occupation of full-time York University students who are the signed leaseholders and, where qualified with the landlord, acceptable and registered “sharer(s)” of the premises.

Those who are found to be engaging in this behavior will lead to Housing & Conference Services following-up with legal actions with the resident/s.

Year-Round Residence

York Apartments offers year-round residence to our students. Move-ins are arranged on the 1st or the 15th (except during holidays and closures) of each month and rent is pro-rated accordingly. Move-outs occur during the last day of the month.

Payment of Rent

Your monthly rent will be charged directly to your student account. Pay your residence charges when they appear on your student account statement. When you set up online banking, the company name/payee is York University. Your York student number is the account number.

You can check your Student Account Online Statement to view recent transactions. Please allow 5-10 business days for your payment to be applied to your account.

Ontario Tax Credit for Rent Payers

Residents of York Apartments are reminded that, as prescribed by subsection 8(8) of the Ontario Income Tax Act, all tax filers, students, staff and others living in prescribed student residences on campus are restricted to a Property Tax Credit Claim of $25.00 per year.

Assiniboine Road, Passy Crescent and 90 Atkinson Road Apartments, as well as the Undergraduate Residences are included in the student residence list used by the Ministry of Finance and Revenue Canada, Taxation, in determining eligibility to Property Tax Credits.

York Apartments Housing Office will not issue letters or receipts. Please visit Tax Forms for more information.

Moving In

Residents must move their items in using the main building entrances. Service keys for elevators may be signed out at the Housing Office.

Communication to Residents

Housing & Conference Services operates a listserv electronic mailing list to notify our residents of building-wide service interruptions; scheduling of heating and cooling system changeovers; and share other important messages that concern the apartment community. We strongly recommend that residents subscribe their email address to this listserv by completing an authorization form with Housing & Conference Services.

In addition to the email listserv, important notifications are posted at the official notice boards located in the building lobbies. Each lobby is also equipped with a LCD screen which will display campus-wide emergency messaging.

Apartments Community Standards

All York University students and guests are expected to conduct themselves in a way that promotes an atmosphere of civility, diversity, equity and respect in their interactions with others. Residents demonstrating behaviour that contradicts these values will be held accountable through the Code of Students Rights and Responsibilities (CSRR). Cases may also be escalated through legal means via the Landlord and Tenant Board. 

Consistent with the CSRR and fine-tuned to the context where over 4,000 students live on campus, the following behaviours are determined to be unacceptable in the York Apartments, and applies to the guests that residents bring in. Housing & Conference Services and Residence Life will follow up on and respond appropriately to violations to uphold the community standards. Our rules about violations of the community standards in residence align with the CSRR and it is breached when a student behaves in a manner that:

  • Harms or threatens to harm members of the University community, including students, faculty or other staff of the University;
  • Disrupts or threatens to disrupt any of the activities of the University;
  • Harms or threatens to harm the property of the University;
  • Violates the Residential Tenancies Act;
  • Violates the policies, procedures or rules of the University; or
  • Abuses or shows disrespect for the processes of the CSRR.

 Who is considered a guest?

A guest is any person who does not reside in the York Apartments. Residents and registered sharers are not considered guests. Furthermore, guests’ actions are the tenant’s responsibility so please remind them to be courteous to your fellow residents always.

If you have an issue or concerns regarding the conduct of another resident, please consider the following options:

  • If the behavior needs to be addressed immediately, please contact York U Security at 416-650-8000
  • If the behaviour may be addressed on a later date or through a formal meeting/notice, please visit the York Apartments Forms page to fill out a Resident Concern Form online.
  • You can file a complaint under the Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities.
  • You can reach out Housing & Conference Services if you have any questions or are unsure of how to proceed.
  • If it is an emergency, please call 911.

Facilities and Services


A Daycare facility exists on the ground floor of 90 Atkinson Road Residence. It operates from 7:30am to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday and is available to members of the York community and the surrounding area. The best way to contact the York University Co-Operative Daycare is via email at daycare@yorku.ca or by phone at 416-736-5190.


For those residents who do not have in-suite storage, we have a limited number of lockers available, free of charge. You will be required to book an appointment and supply your own lock. The Housing Office Representative will accompany you to the storage area where you will be assigned the locker and asked to secure it using your lock.

Laundry Facilities Locations

Assiniboine Passy Crescent
320 Basement 4 Ground Level (beneath mailroom)
340 Ground Floor 6 Second Level (above mailroom)
360 Ground Floor 14 First Floor (beside mailroom)
380 Basement 16 First Floor (beside mailroom)
 90 Atkinson Road Basement

To Report a problem with the washers or dryers: Contact Housing & Conference Services during office hours (Monday-Friday, excluding statutory holidays: 8:30am-4:30pm) at 416-736-5339 or contact Sparkle Solutions at 416-869-0680 after office hours.

Adding funds to your YU-card

  • Online: Use the YU-card Office website to add funds using a Visa or MasterCard
  • Cash: Visit a YU-card station to add funds using cash ($5, $10 and $20 bills).
  • YU-card Stations
Bronfman Business Library Stacie Science Library
Health, Nursing and Environmental Studies Building Scott Library
Frost Library (Glendon) William Small Centre
  • To report a problem with YU-card reader: Contact YU-card Office at 416-736-5674.
  • To report a lost or stolen YU-card: Contact YU-card Office at 416-736-5674.

Internet, Phone & Cable TV

Internet & Phone

Wireless Internet service is available in all apartment buildings except for Atkinson Apartment, which is currently in the progress of network upgrade, and WIFI is expected to be available by November 2018. Residents can subscribe to phone service through InRes Services for additional fees.

To request or cancel services, contact InRes Services:

  • Phone:416-736-5611 ext. 55611 (on-campus) Monday-Friday, 8:30am to 4:50pm (except statutory holidays)
  • Email: inres@yorku.ca

Note: Upon your move-out, Housing & Conference Services will not contact InRes Services to cancel services.

Cable TV

Residents interested in cable TV must contact Rogers Cable TV directly at 1-800-784-6678 or by email: gta.directsales@rci.rogers.com.

Mail & Courier Services

Your address is listed on your Residential Tenancy Agreement. Most mail will get delivered to your mailbox located within the lobby or mail area of your building. Packages will be delivered through forwarding company services utilized by your sender. Typically, a representative will call you when they are trying to deliver, if you answer then you will get your package, if not a package slip will be left taped on your mailbox or the glass of the front door of the building. If you are expecting a package, watch for those notices. Canada post packages are being redirected to the Downsview Post Office at 1027 Finch Ave. W. (west of Dufferin). While University is working with Canada Post to establish an on-campus post office, Ancillary Services and Facilities Services are offering students a complimentary shuttle from the Atkinson parking lot (located south of the Second Student Centre) to the Downsview Post Office. Commencing October 1, 2019, the shuttle service will operate on Wednesdays at 2:30pm until further notice. Other parcel companies will likely provide you with a different pick up location if they are unable to successfully deliver your package/s. Housing will not accept packages on your behalf. If a package is lost or stolen, you can contact the delivery company as well as York Security 416-650-8000.

When you are moving out, remember to arrange for the redirection of your mail and change your address. Follow this link to have your mail forwarded to your new address through Canada Post.

Security, Health and Safety

Safety and Security

It is important that you as a resident do your part to keep a safer community.

  • To keep unwanted persons out and for emergency purposes, your apartment doors should remain closed always.
  • Be observant of your surroundings and report any activity that isn’t typical or that poses a threat or harm to the York community to Security Services or the Police.
  • Do not tamper with safety equipment including fire extinguishers, smoke detectors and fire alarms in the unit/building. This is a serious offence that may lead to charges or termination of your Residential Tenancy Agreement.

Emergencies in York Apartments could happen at any given time and sometimes unavoidable, but you can deal with them with tact to prevent further casualties. For situations where people or property is at immediate risk (a medical emergency, fire, sexual assault, or a crime in progress), call 911 immediately, and then contact Security Services at 416-736-5333 or ext. 33333. Security Officials will respond directly to your call and work with the Police to deal with the emergency.

Urgent Matters

For urgent matters, such as non-life threatening incidents, thefts, potential hazards, or if you observe a suspicious person/s within York Apartments vicinity, call 416-736-5333 or ext. 33333.

For non-urgent matters and service enquiries, such as general security information, broken windows or minor floods, or building or room access, please call 416-650-8000 or ext. 58000.

You may also want to download the York U Safety App which provides easy access to safety services and information on campus.


goSafe is the campus safe walk program that operates from 6:00pm – 2:00am. Should you be on campus and wish to have a pair of escorts walk you home, contact goSafe and they will be happy to assist you.

Fire Safety

All apartment units are equipped with smoke detectors and fire alarm systems. You will notice smoke detectors and alarms within your unit and common areas of the buildings. These systems are in place to ensure the safety of all residents. In the event that you smell smoke or see fire, please activate a building fire alarm pull station and leave the building immediately.

Emergency Evacuation and Personal Preparedness
  • Evacuate immediately upon hearing the fire alarm.
  • In the event of emergency evacuation, always use the stairs, NOT the elevator.
  • Always be prepared for emergency. Some useful resources for personal preparedness can be found at the Emergency Preparedness website.
Fire Evacuation

In case of a fire or upon discovery of a fire:

  • If you are trained to do so, try to put out a small fire using a suitable fire extinguisher.
  • Leave the area immediately and close doors (unlocked) and windows behind you.
  • Call 911, Toronto Fire Services from a safe location.
  • Activate the nearest fire alarm station to alert other residents.
  • Evacuate the building through the nearest stairs and exit.

If there’s smoke in the hallway, stay low and crawl if necessary. Smoke rises, so there is less smoke at floor level. Place clothing over your nose and face. Take short breaths through your nose to reduce the amount of smoke you inhale. If there is smoke in your stairwell, take another stairwell.

In the event of a fire alarm you are required to vacate the building. Below is a chart of the Fire evacuation points for each building.

Building Primary Assembly Area Building Primary Assembly Area
  (at least 100m away)   (at least 100m away)
320 Assiniboine Road Lawn, North of the building Passy Gardens #6 On the lawn north of 320 Assiniboine
340 Assiniboine Road Lawn, West of the building Passy Gardens #8 On the lawn north of 360 Assiniboine
360 Assiniboine Road Lawn, North of the building Passy Gardens #10 On the lawn north of 360 Assiniboine
380 Assiniboine Road Lawn, East of the building Passy Gardens #12 On the lawn north of 360 Assiniboine
Atkinson Residence Open space, South of the Centre
for Film & Theatre
Passy Gardens #14 On the lawn north of 380 Assiniboine
Passy Gardens #2 On the lawn north of 320 Assiniboine Passy Gardens #16 On the lawn north of 380 Assiniboine
Passy Gardens #4 On the lawn north of 320 Assiniboine Passy Gardens #18 On the lawn north of 380 Assiniboine


Building Security

Please treat the residence as you would your own home. When you live at home, you are cautious about who enters your home and who has access to your personal property. When you live on campus, you should be just as cautious. Only authorized key-holders are permitted access into the building.

  • DO NOT leave or prop doors open, and do not let strangers into the building with you, such as food delivery person or solicitors. Residents may permit access to the building for their guests by using the intercom (where available).
  • Report any suspicious activity or persons to Security 416-736-5333.
Keys & Locks

Each resident is permitted ONE set of keys only. Where additional keys are requested, residents MUST register the name(s) of other key-holders and keys will only be permitted based on allowable occupancy for the unit. For security purposes, building entrances and laundry rooms are operated by electronic access controls. Residents are issued keycards for these locks.

When keys are lost or stolen by the resident or registered sharer, all locks where keys were issued must be changed for security reasons at the resident’s expense. Please report lost or stolen keys to Housing or Security Services immediately. Broken keys are replaced at no charge. All keys must be returned to the Housing Office at move-out. Failure to do so will necessitate a lock change. All lock change and key replacement charges will be levied to the resident’s Student Account.

Extra keys cannot be issued for guests and duplicating keys is not allowed. If keys are duplicated, then a lock change will be done at the expense of the resident. Residents may submit a request for extra keys (above the allowable occupancy) in extenuating circumstances which will require the approval of a Housing Manager. Should the request be approved then the resident will register the name and other details of the key-holder and will pay the applicable fees. Supplementary or alternate locks must not be installed on the apartment.

Campus Construction

Residents should be aware that there are a number of construction sites on campus. As a consequence, there may be noise, detours, and disruptions associated with these activities. Please consider these issues before entering into a lease agreement.

Environmental Considerations When Living in Residence

Please be advised that while we strive to maintain a health-supportive environment, our student housing is high density living and it will be difficult to control the environment to the extent that some students require. We cannot guarantee a housing environment that is free of allergens or one that is conducive to an individual’s healthy lifestyle. Students who have any pre-existing medical conditions should assess whether living in our on-campus housing options might pose a risk to their health before entering into a residence or Residential Tenancy Agreement.  Students who experience health issues which they attribute to their living environment may not use this as grounds for appeal should they choose to withdraw early and the terms and conditions of the residence/lease agreement will continue to apply.


Under provincial law, smoking is not allowed in any indoor common areas of the building. As of September, 2018, York Apartments is declared a smoke-free building. This means:

  1. The premises to be occupied by the Resident and members of the Resident’s household have been designated as non-smoking. Resident, members of the Resident’s household, guest(s), business invitee(s), or visitor(s), shall not smoke anywhere within the building, including the unit rented by the Resident, balconies and patios, enclosed common areas, as well as outside within 9 metres of doorways, operable windows, and air intakes.
  2. “Smoke” shall include inhaling, exhaling, breathing, vaping, burning (or cooking), or carrying any lighted tobacco, cannabis, vaping oil, or similar product which generates smoke, vapors, or aerosols.
  3.  “Business invitee” shall include but is not limited to any contractor, agent, household worker, or other persons hired by the university, Resident, or member(s) of the Resident’s household to provide a service or product to the university, Resident, or member(s) of the Resident’s household.
  4. Exceptions may be made by the University and Housing & Conference Services on a case by case basis, prior to use, for Residents requiring medical or religious accommodations.

Residents (students who moved in before August 2018) are grandfathered and are allowed to smoke in their units but are strictly reminded to use ventilation fan or personal fan/air purifier to help dissipate any smoke inside the unit. Odours from the smoking also spread to other units and can seriously interfere with the enjoyment of the premises by neighbouring residents which can be grounds for termination of tenancy.

Should a smoking issue arise, please take the following actions: Submit a Tenant Concern Form online via the York Apartments Forms.

Upon move-out, any damages/cleaning related to smoking in the unit will be charged to the resident’s account.


As per Regulation 278/05 under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, this serves as York University’s ongoing efforts to provide reasonable written notice of the state of asbestos materials that exist in different buildings constructed previous to 1986. Atkinson and the Assiniboine buildings fall into that category in circumstances where there are some construction materials which contain particles of asbestos.

To give this matter perspective, asbestos is a naturally occurring event in the air you breathe, even out of doors. The discernable amount of asbestos fibre ambient in the air is no greater than and most times less than what you would experience walking around outside.

York University has an Asbestos Management Program in place to ensure that correct procedures are followed in the handling of asbestos and that every precaution is taken to reduce any potential exposure risk to the York University Community.  The Asbestos Management Program includes maintaining a database of buildings that contain materials with asbestos, where it is located, the description of the material, whether it is friable or non friable, and issues, if any, about condition or required remedial action. 

For additional information about asbestos:

  • Visit the Health Canada website.
  • Contact York University Department of Occupational Health and Safety: 416-736-5491.

Listserv for Residents

Housing & Conference Services operates a listserv for our residents to provide notification of building-wide service interruptions; scheduling of heating and cooling system changeovers; and other important messages that concern the apartment community. We strongly recommend that residents subscribe their email address to this listserv by completing an authorization form with Housing & Conference Services.

What to Bring in York Apartments

 York Apartments is a matured and independent-living environment with self-contained furnished and non-furnished units. Residents are expected to bring the following with them upon moving in:

  • Furniture (if moving in to unfurnished units): living room, bedroom and kitchen furniture
  • Bed and bath linens: mattress cover, sheets, blankets, pillows, towels and garbage bin.
  • Kitchen items: microwave, toaster, kettle, dishes, cutlery, crockery, pots, pans and dishcloths.

*Residents may purchase stylish bedroom, bathroom and kitchen items, at great student-friendly pricing. Take advantage of free shipping and delivery straight to your residence. Residence Linens has a variety of items that will turn your room into your second home! Order your items online at Residence Linens.

Others: iron, reading or bedside lamps, telephone, television set, clothes hangers, waste bin and cleaning materials, vacuum cleaners.


It's very important to have tenant's insurance when you enter a lease agreement. Please visit Insurance Bureau of Canada for more information about what tenant's insurance covers and the type of coverage you need and when you will need it.

A-Z Guide for Living in York Apartments

As an important part of the Residential Tenancy Agreement, the Resident shall also obey, observe and adhere to Regulations around the following items: 


A stove and refrigerator are supplied in each apartment. Dishwashers, washing machines and waterbeds are not allowed. DO NOT use sharp implements to chip or scrape ice from the freezer as you may puncture the unit. The cost to replace a refrigerator is $150.00. Cleaning and defrosting of the refrigerator must be done on a regular basis to ensure proper functioning. If your stove or refrigerator has no electrical power, please check the electrical panel in your apartment; turn off all breakers and turn on again to restore power. *Note that Atkinson Residence do not have breakers and operate on fuses. If a fuse needs replacing students must submit a work order for a Housing repair person to install a new one. Students are discouraged from replacing their own fuses to eliminate risk of placing wrong fuses causing further damage. The oven timer may also need to be adjusted. Microwave ovens, electric kettles, and other small household electrical appliances owned by the resident are permitted.


For the enjoyment of our residents, free standing charcoal barbeques are located on the Assiniboine and Passy apartment grounds.

Building Roofs

Residents and their guests are not permitted on the building roofs. Failure to comply will result in eviction.

Damages & Liability

Residents are responsible for maintaining the rental units and all furnishings in the same condition as when they moved in. This includes walls, floors, ceilings, doors, fixtures, furnishings, and window coverings. All new residents are issued an apartment inventory and condition form at move-in and will have 24 hours to return the completed form to the Housing Office. Residents will not be charged for deficiencies identified on the form at move-in. Damages other than wear and tear will be charged to the resident’s Student Account.


When moving furniture and belongings in/out of the building, the resident must reserve and sign out elevators service keys from the Housing Office. Elevator doors should never be propped or this will cause damage and vandalism fines will ensue.


Pursuant to the provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act, the Landlord (University) has the right to enter a rented premise for usual business purposes. A minimum 24-hour Notice of Entry will be given to the Resident in all other forms of entry not deemed as an emergency or requested by the Resident through a work order. *Housing Services may enter units without prior notice in emergency situations concerning health, safety, and disruption to the community (includes but is not limited to smoking, alarm clocks sounding for an extended period, and situations where a resident has not been seen for an unusual amount of time).

Fire Safety

  • Fire Alarm: Evacuate immediately upon hearing the fire alarm.
  • Smoke Detectors: Smoke detectors are provided in each apartment. Intermittent beeping of the unit indicates low battery power; the Housing Office provides batteries and repairs.
  • Fire Alarm Testing: Fire alarm equipment is tested once per year including equipment inside each apartment. Housing will post notices for access in advance.
  • Fire Equipment Vandalism: The Fire Marshall’s office has advised that any resident found to have disconnected their fire alarm/smoke detector or misused the equipment will be subject to a fine and all costs related to the re-installation of the unit/equipment. Residents may also be charged under the Criminal Code and face eviction from the York Apartments.

Never leave cooking unattended.

Furnishings & Supplies

All apartments are equipped with a refrigerator and stove. Bathtubs have a shower curtain. Basic lighting is provided. Please see the Housing website for a detailed list of furniture provided in the furnished apartments.

All furniture supplied in furnished units is according to allowable occupancy. Passy Crescent apartment beds, Assiniboine bachelor apartment daybeds and other standard furnishing in the unit cannot be removed under any circumstances.

Garbage Disposal

For the most part garbage procedures are similar in each building. For the high-rise buildings, there are garbage chutes or refuse rooms on your floors where you can place small bags of garbage. Please ensure that the bags are pushed down the chute. Any large items need to be taken to the garbage room located on the first floor in your building.

Recycling bins are located outside of the buildings for cans, plastics, and cardboard. Please take your recycling items to these depots and do not throw it out in the garbage or down the chute.

Batteries and light bulbs can be brought to the Housing & Conference Services Office (340 Assiniboine Road) for sustainable disposal.

*For Passy Apartments, garbage and recyclable items need to be taken out to the dumpsters located on Passy Crescent.

Heating/Air Conditioning

Cyclical switch over of the central ventilation system in York Apartments typically happens in May/June from Heat to A/C and in September/October from A/C to heat. The temperature outside during these times can fluctuate greatly which makes it difficult to find the appropriate time to switch the system. It takes approximately 3 days for the system to be changed. During these times of year, it is recommended that you get a fan or space heater to assist with keeping your apartment to your desired temperature.  For more information on how heating and air conditioning systems are maintained, please visit the City of Toronto site.


Residents are responsible for obtaining contents insurance for fire, theft or damage. The University is not responsible for any personal effects (including food) that may be lost, stolen or damaged for any reason while in the apartment or stored in a locker.


Access communication and entry control is provided through an intercom system and your regular telephone service in 320, 340, 360, 380 Assiniboine. You can fill out a form at the 340 Assiniboine Office to set your buzzer code to go to your phone if you have a local phone number. For more information, including your buzzer code number, please contact the Housing Office.


You can get light bulbs from the Housing & Conference Services front desk when you need them. When you need to replace a light bulb, you can bring in your old bulb and Housing & Conference Services will provide you a replacement. You will need to install the new bulb.


The Laundry services are operated by Sparkle Solutions. Information surrounding any issues or concerns is posted within the laundry rooms. Please contact Sparkle if a machine isn’t working properly. If you have paid for a machine and you didn’t receive the service, please contact the YU-card Office to obtain a refund.

Please make sure you are being respectful when using the laundry facilities. Below are some common issues and general rules to follow. 

It’s very easy for the laundry room to become dirty. This can occur through dryer lint and spilled soap and fabric softener. When this occurs it is your responsibility to clean those drops up. This ensures the machine is in the best condition possible for the next resident to use. They can also become moldy when the door is left closed when the washer is not in use. Once finished using the machine please leave the door open so air can circulate within the machine. Sparkle conducts regular inspection and maintenance of the machines.

When you are doing laundry, it is expected by other Residents that you don’t leave your items in the washer or dryer past cycle. This ensures that others can use the machine in an efficient manner. If a dryer isn’t available immediately after your wash, you can leave your clothes in a basket on top of the dryer you intend to use. This tells others that you are next in line for the machine. Dryer timing is extremely important, especially if others are using the washing machines when you are drying. Please ensure that you aren’t leaving clothing in the machines longer than 5 minutes. Remember to be respectful when using these machines and think about how your actions can improve others experiences.

Patience and responsibility goes a long way when sharing facilities. Please allow others time to come and retrieve their items and avoid removing other’s clothing from a machine.

If you are the one using the facilities, please be diligent in retrieving your items as soon as possible after your machine finished its cycle. If you leave your clothing in a machine longer than a few minutes after your cycle is complete, others that are waiting may possibly remove your items from the machine. Laundry rooms are typically located in the basement or 1st floor of your building. For Passy, rooms are located in Passy 4, 6, 14, and 16.


Residents or registered sharers may contact Housing & Conference Services if they are locked out during business hours (Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:00pm). After business hours, a resident or registered sharer may contact Security Services to provide access if proof of tenancy or registered as a sharer is provided and validated on the Housing records. A flat rate of $25.00 will be charged to the resident’s Student Account for an after-hours access due to a lock-out of a resident or registered sharer. Additionally, a service fee of $100.00 will be charged to the resident’s Student Account if keys are lost or stolen and a lock change is necessary.

Maintenance Requests

Residents must complete a Work Order in person at the Housing Office. Your signature to give permission to enter your apartment is required before any repair or service request can be processed. Residents will also be asked to indicate if they have pets in their apartments so that service staff is aware before entry.

Repair requests will only be accepted by telephone or from a registered sharer in the case of an emergency. Normal wear and tear or maintenance items are repaired without charge to the resident, so please report all problems as soon as possible. Prompt reporting will ensure your enjoyment of the property and minimize major repairs.

Note: Damage that occurs due to unreported maintenance may be charged to a resident’s Student Account. You will be held responsible and charged for any damages beyond normal wear and tear, and any extra cleaning upon move-out. This can include painting, repairing large holes in walls, removal of garbage, damage caused by pets, appliance cleaning, etc.

Moving Out, Key Return

Keys should be returned to the Housing Office on or before the specified departure date. For departures outside of office hours, place your keys in an envelope that is clearly marked with your name, apartment number, forwarding address, and telephone number, and deposit it in the mail slot in the east entrance door of 340 Assiniboine. All keys must be returned or associated charges will be levied to your Student Account. In the event a resident checks out and keys are returned to Housing after the lease end date, rent charges will apply up to and including the check-out date.

Noise & Disturbance

Residents are expected to maintain a reasonable noise level at all times, most especially between 11:00pm and 7:00am. Please be considerate when entertaining guests or when playing audio/video devices. Housing has a strict policy regarding excessive noise and disturbance by residents and/or their pets, based on the by-laws of the City of Toronto. Repeated noise offenses may cause eviction.

You should be aware that at times there may be noise from the Daycare users, particularly when children are outside in the play area.

Late night partying, yelling etc. are handled by the police. Report noise disturbances promptly as it is happening:

  • Contact Housing if the noise is occurring during Housing office hours (Monday-Friday, excluding statutory holidays 8:30am-4:30pm).
  • Call York U Security at 416-650-8000 to address the issue in the moment and submit a Tenant Concern Form via the 340 Assiniboine Housing Office.


Painting is strictly prohibited. Resident will be responsible for costs to repaint the unit back to University's standards.


Resident and visitor parking are available for additional fees. Enquiries should be directed to the Parking Office in the William Small Centre.

Pest Control

Residents have a responsibility to immediately report pest issues (e.g. roaches, bedbugs) so that appropriate treatment can be arranged and before spread occurs to neighbouring apartments. If you are experiencing a pest problem in your apartment, please report it promptly to the Housing Office to request treatment.

Housing & Conference Services works with a pest control contractor to provide treatment annually to all apartments as part of our pro-active measures to reduce the spread of pests.


Pets are allowed in the apartments but cannot be permitted to interfere with the reasonable enjoyment of the premises by the landlord or other persons. If you are a pet owner, please ensure your pet is cared for in a humane, healthy, safe, and considerate manner. As you keep them in your unit, it is also important to be considerate to your neighbours and building (including your dwelling).

It is always recommended to practice good housekeeping inside your unit to reduce strong pet odours. Take your dog for regular walks and exercise but keep them on a leash when travelling in public areas inside or outside of the building. Security and/or Toronto Police will enforce by-laws as they relate to pets. Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times under Toronto By-law #28-1999, paragraph 11(3). Residents must clean up after their pets. Please remember to “stoop and scoop”. Excessive noise caused by pets (e.g. persistent barking) also constitutes noise disturbance which can be in violation of the noise by-laws. This may also lead to complaints that Housing & Conference Services & Residence Life must address.

Should persistent pet issues arise, please submit a Tenant Concern Form at the 340 Assiniboine Housing & Conference Services Office.

Picture Hangers

Please use removable mounts to hang pictures and other items. Using nails/fasteners may result in wall damage with costs assessed on the resident's Student Account.


Please ensure you report any plumbing issues to the Housing Office (e.g. dripping or leaking taps) so repairs can be made before more serious damage occurs. If your toilet or sink is blocked, use the plunger made available in your apartment. If this does not solve the problem, submit a work order to the Housing Office.

Major plumbing issues and flooding is often caused by allowing the wrong things to go down the drains. Please do not use your toilet or drains for disposing of substances such as kitty litter, organic waste or non-degradable matter. Please use the sink strainers in the kitchen to avoid food particles from clogging the drain. Clean these strainers regularly. Strainers can be used in the washrooms to avoid hair from clogging the drains.


Each apartment unit is provided with a recycling bin. Please sort and place items in large bins outside each building.


During the summer, a resident who wishes to sublease their unit to another eligible student is required to register their subleasee through Housing & Conference Services. The subleasee must be a student registered at York University in good standing. Please go to the Housing Office for more information.


Trolleys can be signed out by the resident at the Housing Office Monday-Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm on a first come, first served basis for a maximum use of 2 hours. Photo ID is required when signing out trolleys.

Transfer requests

Because of limited unit availability throughout the year, transfer requests are only considered under exceptional circumstances such as significant need changes in a student’s life. The following conditions must also be met in order to be qualified for a transfer:

  • The resident must have lived in their current apartment for a minimum of 2 semesters.
  • The resident must be in good academic standing with the University.
  • The resident must be in good financial standing with the University.

To apply for a transfer, residents must come to the Housing Office and fill out and submit a Transfer Request Form. Please understand that approval of the request is pending circumstances and availability of unit requested.

Windows Latches/Handles/Locks

When the window latches are in the closed position, the window is locked. Before you begin to crank the window open, please ensure that both latches are open. If this procedure is not followed, the crank gears will be stripped and the window will not function. Window limiters are installed in every apartment to comply with the City of Toronto by-law, which restricts window openings to a maximum of 4” or 100mm. DO NOT TAMPER with window limiters.

Do not leave windows open for any reason during cold weather/winter. This could result in frozen water lines.

Important Links and Resources

Transit Resources

York U Transit

Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)

York Region Transit/VIVA

Brampton Transit

Mississauga Transit

Go Transit

Via Rail

Greyhound Busses


Toronto Pearson

Toronto Downtown: Billy Bishop

Hospitals and Medical Options

Appletree Medical Centre located in York Lanes on campus

North York General Hospital (Bathurst and Finch)

Humber River Hospital (Keele and Wilson)

Grocery Stores & Malls

Superstore (Shuttle provided on Tuesday nights leaving from the Atkinson College Parking lot between 6:00pm – 9:00pm

No Frills – Keele and St. Regis

Walmart – Keele and Broadoaks

Fresh Co. – Jane and Finch

Four Winds Mall – Your Community Grocer

Promenade Mall – Centre and Bathurst

Yorkdale Mall – via Subway, at Allen Rd. and Wilson

Vaughan Mills – via Viva, Highway 7 and Weston area – Restaurants, Movie Theatre, big box stores

Ikea – Highway 7 and Edgeley

Note: Housing & Conference Services strives to ensure the completeness and accuracy of information contained on this website, however, we reserve the right to change any of the information at anytime without notice.