York Apartments Housing FAQs

How many students live in residence at York?

York Apartments have about 1,250 self-contained units available for students at York’s Keele Campus.

What types of accommodation does York Apartments offer?

York Apartments offer a variety of both furnished and unfurnished apartment options including bachelor, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. There are also few adapted units.

Am I eligible to apply for York Apartments?

You must be a graduate, law, student with families or mature undergraduate student who is at least 21 years of age or older registered in full-time studies.

When can I apply for York Apartments?

Applications are accepted throughout the year. Apply through your MyFile once you are admitted to a full-time degree program at York.

Will I be guaranteed an apartment?

Applications are processed according to the date of receipt, however priority is given to graduate, law and students with families.

Do I have to pay a fee with my application?

No, there is no application fee associated with applying for York Apartments Housing.

Can I choose an apartment building/style?

You can select up to two building/style preferences when you applying. Housing staff will make every effort to accommodate your preference, but we cannot make guarantees as assignments will depend on availability.

Can I co-sign a lease with another person?

No, each apartment is leased to one resident only who will be responsible for the terms and conditions of the lease agreement including payment of rent.

Can I share an apartment with a friend or my family?

It depends on the apartment type, some apartments will allow up to 1 roommate to maximum 3 roommates. Roommate(s) must meet the maximum occupancy allowance and must be registered by the lease holder through the Housing Office. Please check the Maximum Occupancy Allowed for each apartment type for more information.

Can I sublease my apartment?

You are required to register through Housing Services and will be pending approval. If approved, the sublease must be a student registered at York University in good standing.

How much will an apartment cost me?

It depends on the apartment type, the cost ranges between $892 - $1,639 monthly. Please refer to our website for more detailed information about residence costs.

Do I pay for heat, hydro and water?

No, your rental rates include heat, hydro and water.

Are there any other costs to live in York Apartments?

You will incur additional costs if you wish to subscribe to phone service, cable TV, parking services and laundry. You are also required to obtain content insurance as the University is not responsible for loss or damage of personal property for any reason.

Do I have to buy a Meal Plan?

No, all the apartments are equipped with a kitchen, therefore a Meal Plan is not mandatory. However, you can purchase a Meal Plan through the YU-card Office, if you wish.

What’s in the apartment kitchens?

All kitchens are equipped with a fridge and a stove/oven. You may bring in your own microwave, pots, pans, cooking utensils and cleaning supplies.

What food choices are there on campus?

York has over 40 food service locations at the Keele Campus offering a wide variety of food types including salads, soup and sandwiches, full “home-style” dinners, fast food, international, halal and kosher food.

Is smoking allowed in York Apartments?

Smoking is allowed in the apartment units, however, it is not encouraged. Should the smoke interfere with safety and enjoyment of other roommates/residents, further action will be taken. Smoking is strictly prohibited in all public areas inside the building and within 9 metres of the building entrance.

How long is the apartment lease for?

York Apartments Housing falls under the Residential Tenancy Act. You are eligible to stay in York Apartments as long as you are enrolled in a full-time degree program, you have no outstanding debts on your student account and you have no history of behaviour issues.

When can I move in?

Move-ins are arranged for the 1st and 15th of each month throughout the year (pending availability) and excluding weekends and any statutory holidays.

How do I terminate my lease?

A completed “Agreement to Terminate a Tenancy Form” (N11) must be submitted to the Housing Office at least 60 days before vacating the unit. The date of termination shall be on the last day of a rental period (last day of the month). For example, if you wish to move out in October and the required minimum of 60 Days’ Notice falls on October 22, your move-out date will be October 31.

Can I stay in my apartment for the Summer even if I’m not taking summer course?

Yes, as long as you have no outstanding debts on your student account, you have no history of behavioural issues and you will continue to enroll in a full-time degree program in the following Fall.

I will be new to York. Will there be anybody to help me adjust?

Absolutely! We have a full-time professional Community Life Coordinator who is available on site for assistance and community programming.

Do you offer apartment tours?

Yes, tours will be offered in some apartments between May and August. More details about tour dates and times will be posted on our website when they become available.


Note: Housing Services strives to ensure the completeness and accuracy of information contained on this website, however, we reserve the right to change any of the information at anytime without notice.