We are excited that you have chosen York Apartments as your home this coming year. Housing Services and Residence Life teams are working hard to make your experience in this living environment unique. You will have a rewarding, enriching, and fun experience in a safe student community that will positively influence your personal, educational, and social development.
Prior to moving in to your apartment, here are some important things you need to know. Please read the information thoroughly to ensure that you are ready for move-in and for the York U Apartments experience.
York Apartments is a community where residents can live an independent lifestyle in a student friendly and family environment. It is important that everyone understands and follows the guidelines and be respectful of their neighbours so that everyone enjoys their student experience.
You are moving into a high-density apartment building which means you may experience some common issues that can arise in these residences. As such, we are asking all our residents to do their part to enhance their living experience. However, as of any residential building, especially with children living in the building, you will occasionally experience some level of noise.
York Apartment move-in dates are arranged on the 1st and 15th of each month throughout the year (pending availability) and excluding weekends and any statutory holidays. Please check your Residential Tenancy Agreement for the exact move-in day arranged with Housing Services.
Move-in Locations and Hours
Check-in hours during regular business days are 8:30am to 5:30pm (Monday to Friday, excluding statutory holidays).
It is important that you bring a valid government-issued ID with you on your move-in day. Unfortunately, for your safety and protection, we are unable to release your keys to relatives, friends or representatives. Housing Services Office is located at Suite 101- 340 Assiniboine Rd (building #47 on the campus map).
We ask that you make plans to claim your keys during office hours. If you are unable to pick your keys during office hours due to travel itineraries, you must arrange alternative accommodation for the night and check in the following business day. For your convenience, you may check out the list of hotels close to Keele Campus.
Please notify Housing Services via email at email@example.com if you will be arriving after your designated move-in day. Unfortunately, failure to do so will result to your apartment being released and offered to the next student on the waitlist.
Upon moving in to residence, there are important documents that you need to fully understand, complete/sign and submit:
- The York Apartments Key Control Form.
- The York Apartments Inventory List needs to be completed and submitted within 48 hours of your move-in day. Please ensure the form accurately reflects the condition of the unit you are moving into including furniture condition and any minor damages, if applicable. Upon move- out, this document will serve as Housing Services’ record on assessing any damage/cleaning charges in your unit. It is also important to report to Housing Services any damage or cleaning concerns you experience during moving in as promptly as possible.
It is highly important to obtain a tenant’s insurance during your stay in York Apartments. Please visit Insurance Bureau of Canada for more information about what type of insurance coverage you will need and when you will need it. This is a helpful guide as you shop around for your tenant’s insurance. If you opt not to obtain insurance, you assume the responsibility of any damages or theft during your stay.
Order your linens and kitchen supplies
For your convenience and to ease your move-in experience, you can order the linens and kitchen supplies prior to your arrival and they will be shipped directly to your apartment through Residence Linens.
Order your textbooks
YorkU Bookstore provides all required textbooks and materials you need for your courses. Shop in person or online and have the books ready for pickup at the store. You can earn 5% scholar dollars when you purchase with your YU-card.
Please make sure to connect through York Apartments Facebook Group to get connected with your community even prior to moving in.
The professional staff in residence is comprised of Housing Services and Residence Life teams. While each oversees different aspects of the residence experience, we work together to support a safe, inclusive, equitable experience for all.
Housing Services Staff
- Director of Housing Services has a comprehensive responsibility for all facets of York University residences including but not limited to residence budgets and fees, administrative policies and procedures, personnel matters, facilities, marketing, building operations as well as summer operations management for both Keele and Glendon Campuses.
- Manager, Housing Administration is responsible for developing and implementing strategic admission policies and procedures that are in alignment with University’s admission and student recruitment strategies. He/she ensures that a high level of customer service is delivered to all our students and parents while maintaining residence occupancy and operating within budget. The Manager leads the housing administration team managing all aspects of the student assignments/admissions processes, facilitating all move-in, transfer and check-out processes.
- Assignment Coordinators are responsible for administering application, room assignments, room changes, withdrawal, and cancellation processes in Residence and pro-actively assign vacant spaces and empty suites as they become available within the Residence. They also regularly communicate to residents through email system and provide timely, accurate response to students and parents and support the building operations team in processing/entering work orders damage and cleaning appeals.
- Operations Team is responsible for managing the housing inventory and all aspects the physical assets in residence. They are comprised of building operations supervisors, repair persons, custodial and seasonal workers who also liaises with maintenance and external stakeholders to coordinate maintenance, repair, work orders and pest control in York Apartments.
- Conference Services and Accommodations team is responsible for managing the day-to-day student and guest relations done at the Front Desk and is overall responsible for the Guest Accommodations business in residence for the entire year. Front Desk Assistants help keep the residence safe and secure, tend to various student needs, and fulfil administrative duties, responding to general inquiries, contacting Housing Staff as required, receiving maintenance requests, signing out borrowed items and others.
Residence Life Staff
Residence Life which is part of the Division of Students, provides community building initiatives, personal support, and assists with community management for students living in the York Apartments. This is accomplished through the York Apartments Community Life Coordinator. You will receive emails from the Community Life Coordinator pertaining to community building events or student outreach in the event of an incident or request.
We look forward to seeing you!
Note: Housing Services strives to ensure the completeness and accuracy of information contained on this website, however, we reserve the right to change any of the information at anytime without notice.