Future Student FAQs

How many students live in residence at York?

York has close to 2,500 residence spaces available for students in ten different undergraduate residence buildings at York’s Keele and Glendon Campuses.

What style of residence does York offer?

Most residences are arranged in a traditional style with single and double bedrooms sharing common washrooms and lounges. At the Keele Campus, we also have some suite-style residences with in-suite kitchens and washrooms typically shared by 2 or 6 students, however spaces are limited.

Who is eligible to live in Undergraduate Residence?

Students must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate degree programs (minimum 9 credits per term). York’s residences offer a nice balance of first-year and upper-year students. To be eligible for residence after first-year, students must have no behavioural infractions while living in or visiting York residence, and have no outstanding debt to the University.

Am I guaranteed residence?

You are guaranteed a residence space as long as you are a first-year student admitted for the Fall session directly from a full-time secondary school program, and you apply by June 1, 2018.

When can I apply for residence?

2018-2019 Fall/Winter term undergraduate residence applications are available starting February 1, 2018. Apply through MyFile and follow the instructions. Set 10 minutes aside to complete and submit your application no later than June 1 to secure your space.

Can I still apply for residence after June 1?

Yes, we accept residence applications as long as there is space available.

Do I have to pay a fee with my application?

Yes, a $50 non-refundable fee is payable online by Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Visa Debit when you submit your application.

Will I have to pay a fee to secure my space?

Yes, you are required to pay a $300 non-refundable room offer deposit online using a credit or visa debit card upon acceptance of your residence room offer. Your deposit is not an additional charge and will be deducted from your room fees after you move in. Instructions on how to pay your room deposit online will be included with your room offer.

How do I choose a residence?

Many students select a residence preference based on their Faculty program of study. You can also select based on, proximity to classes and other campus amenities. For more detailed information about how the residences are linked with Faculty programs, please check the program affiliations at Keele Campus.

You can select up to two preferred residences on your application but we cannot make guarantees. Remember, every residence will offer a great first-year experience and support system as you make the transition to university life!

Can I live in a suite-style residence?

First-year students should experience living in a traditional residence with a roommate. It’s a great way to meet other students, socialize and study together. Plus you’ll enjoy the convenience of a meal plan. Traditional residence is our most affordable option and cleaning services are provided in the common areas and washrooms.

Suite-style residence is a preferred choice for upper-year students who may like to share amenities and cook and clean for themselves.

Housing will make every effort to accommodate everyone’s residence preference, but cannot make guarantees as assignments will depend on availability. Students should be prepared to accept any space that is offered in any residence with the objective of having a complete university experience!

What size is my room and what's in it?

The average room size is 110 square feet and is furnished with a single/twin-sized bed, lamp, desk, chair, dresser, closet and garbage bin. Students supply their own linens.

Do the rooms have Internet?

Yes, each room has wireless and wired Internet included.

What's in the suite kitchens?

Pond suites are equipped with a fridge/freezer and stove. Students provide their own microwave.

Bethune suites are equipped with a fridge/freezer, stove and microwave.

Calumet suites are equipped with a fridge, freezer, convection oven, microwave and hotplate.

All students living in suites will provide their own small appliances, pots, pans, cooking utensils and cleaning supplies.

Will I share a room?

Many first-year students will share a double room. The application will ask some specific questions about your lifestyle preferences to match your compatibility with potential roommates. You will have the opportunity to self-select a roommate or have one selected for you. To ensure optimal compatibility and harmonious roommate relations, you should answer the questions thoroughly and honestly. Double rooms are shared by students who are of the same gender.

Can I share a room with a friend who is also accepted to York?

Yes,  the roommate selection module will be open between April and August 1, 2018, when both of you can return to your online residence application and accept each other before Housing can confirm your room assignment together. Please note that it is no longer accessible to students who have been offered a space.

I requested a single room. Do I have to go through the Roommate Selection Step?

No, it’s not mandatory to select a roommate; however, this step gives you an opportunity to select a possible future roommate in case Housing Services is unable to accommodate your single room preference. Please note that only students with a minimum 90% average who applied by June 1 and requested a single space are guaranteed a single room. The rest will be offered pending availability.

Are the residences mixed gender?

Most residences are mixed gender, but we also offer some floors/sections designated as female-or male-only floors. You can indicate a preference for a same gender floor/section on the application.

Is smoking permitted in residence?

No, all residences are smoke-free. Smoking is also strictly prohibited within 9 metres of the building entrance.

Is cannabis permitted in residence?

Possession, cooking, smoking, storing and cultivation of cannabis is prohibited in York Undergraduate Residence. Rules and policies on cannabis smoking, possession and cultivation are available in Residence Community Standards.

Is there a process in place to address smoking and cannabis concerns?

Residents are encouraged to contact Residence Life on all smoking and cannabis concerns they may have. Issues will be addressed with responsible residents in accordance to policies set in the Residence Occupancy Agreement and Residence Life Handbook.

Do I have to buy a meal plan?

The purchase of a meal plan is mandatory in all traditional residences where cooking facilities are not provided. Students may rent or bring compact refrigerators. Students living in suites with kitchen access may purchase optional meal plans. For more information, visit the Food Services website.

What food choices are there on campus?

York has over 40 food service providers at the Keele Campus offering a wide variety of food types including salads, soup and sandwiches, full “home-style” dinners, fast food, international, halal and kosher food. Glendon Campus offers a main dining hall and other food outlets.

How much will residence cost me?

We suggest you budget about $8,900-$11,500 to cover your residence and food costs for the eight-month period, not including personal spending money. Please refer to the website for information about Undergraduate Residence rates.

Are there any other costs to live in residence?

In addition to your room and meal costs, all students are required to pay an $80 Residence Life fee. You may incur additional costs if you wish to subscribe to phone and cable TV. Students are strongly recommended to get content insurance as the University is not responsible for loss or damage of personal property for any reason.

How long is the residence occupancy for?

Your residence occupancy is effective for the 2018-2019 Fall and Winter academic terms but excludes the winter holiday closure period when the residences are closed. Students are required to make alternative living arrangements during the closure period but students who live out-of-province may appeal to stay in residence if they have no alternative accommodation and will be charged a $250 flat fee if they are approved.

When is move-in and move-out for the 2018-2019 academic year?

Official move-in day is Saturday, September 1, 2018. Move-out is 24 hours after the student completes their F/W Term classes/exams.

Does York offer Summer Residence?

Yes, applications are available at the Housing website starting March 1, 2018.

I will be new to university life. Will there be anybody to help me?

Absolutely! Each residence has senior live-in Residence Dons, who will be a resource to you and lend a helping hand during your transition to university life. Residence Dons report to a live-in professional Residence Life Coordinator, who is fully trained and will be a great resource to students.

What is the Village? Is it part of York?

The Village is a residential neighbourhood just beyond the south boundary of York University’s property. Residential dwellings in the Village are privately owned and York has no ownership or legal jurisdiction within this community. Many homes in the Village have been converted to “rooming houses” that do not comply with Provincial building and fire regulations and rooms are rented to anyone, not just students. Many owners do not live within the rooming houses that they own and may not be immediately available to tenants when issues arise. Please read About "The Village" for more information.

Do you offer residence tours?

Yes, tours are offered in some residences between June and August. More details about tour dates and times are available on the Residence Tours 2018 page.

If you are unable to come to campus, we encourage you to view our residence buildings and gallery.

If you are planning to visit the campus, you may be able to sign up for a tour. Sign up for a campus tour.


Note: Housing Services strives to ensure the completeness and accuracy of information contained on this website, however, we reserve the right to change any of the information at any time without notice.