How many residence spaces does York have?

York has about 2,500 residence spaces available for students in ten different undergraduate residence buildings at York’s Keele and Glendon Campuses.

What style of residence does York offer?

Most residences are arranged in a traditional style with single and double bedrooms sharing common washrooms and lounges. At Glendon Campus, all residences are traditional-style buildings.

Who is eligible to live in Undergraduate Residence?

Students must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program. York’s residences have a nice balance of first-year and upper-year students. To be eligible for residence after first-year, students must have no behavioural infractions while living in or visiting York residence, and have no outstanding debt to the University.

Am I guaranteed residence?

You are guaranteed a residence space as long as you are admitted for the Fall session directly from a full-time secondary school program, and you apply by June 1, 2018.

When can I apply for residence?

2018-2019 Fall/Winter term undergraduate residence applications are available starting February 1, 2018. Apply through MyFile and follow the instructions. Set 10 minutes aside to complete and submit your application no later than June 1 to secure your space.

Can I still apply for residence after June 1?

Yes, we accept residence applications as long as there is space available.

Do I have to pay a fee with my application?

Yes, a $50 non-refundable fee is payable online by Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Visa Debit when you submit your application.

Will I have to pay a fee to secure my space?

Yes, you are required to pay a $300 non-refundable Room Offer Acceptance Fee online using a credit card or visa debit card upon acceptance of your residence room offer. Your ROAF is not an additional charge and will be deducted from your room fees after you move in. Instructions on how to pay your room deposit online will be included with your room offer.

How do I choose a residence?

You can select up to two preferred residences on your application but we cannot make guarantees. Remember, every residence offers a great first-year experience and support system as you make the transition to university life!

What’s in my room?

A single/twin-sized bed, desk, chair, dresser, closet, and garbage bin. Each room has wireless and wired Internet included. Students supply their own linen.

Will I share a room?

Majority of the rooms at Glendon are single rooms, first-year students are encouraged to share a double room. The application will ask some specific questions about your lifestyle preferences to match your compatibility with potential roommates. You will have the opportunity to self-select a roommate or have one selected for you. To ensure optimal compatibility and harmonious roommate relations, you should answer the questions completely and honestly. Double rooms are shared by students who are of the same gender.

Can I have a single room?

You will be assigned to a single room if you are a first-year student admitted with a minimum 90% average, and you apply by June 1 deadline, and you select the single room preference.

Can I share a room with a friend who is also accepted to Glendon?

Yes, the roommate selection module will be open between April and throughout the summer, when both of you return to your online residence application and accept each other before Housing can confirm your room assignment together.

Are the residences mixed gender?

All residences offer a mixed-gender environment, but there are some floors/sections designated as female only. You can indicate a preference for a same gender floor/section on the application.

Is smoking permitted in residence?

No, all residences are smoke-free. Smoking is also strictly prohibited within 9 metres of the building entrance.

Is cannabis permitted in residence?

Possession, cooking, smoking, storing and cultivation of cannabis is prohibited in York Undergraduate Residence. Rules and policies on cannabis smoking, possession and cultivation are available in Residence Community Standards.

Is there a process in place to address smoking and cannabis concerns?

Residents are encouraged to contact Residence Life on all smoking and cannabis concerns they may have. Issues will be addressed with responsible residents in accordance to policies set in the Residence Occupancy Agreement and Residence Life Handbook.

Do I have to buy a meal plan?

Yes, the purchase of a meal plan is required in all residences at Glendon. Students may rent or bring compact refrigerators to keep in their room. For more information, visit the Food Services website.

What food choices are there on campus?

York has over 40 food service providers at the Keele Campus offering a wide variety of food types including salads, soup and sandwiches, full “home-style” dinners, fast food, international, halal and kosher food. Glendon Campus offers a main dining hall and other food outlets available.

How much will residence cost me?

We suggest you budget about $8,900-$11,500 to cover your residence and food costs for the eight-month period, not including personal spending money.

Please refer to the website for information about 2017-2018 Undergraduate Residence rates.

Are there any other costs to live in residence?

In addition to your room and meal costs, all students are required to pay an $80 Residence Life fee. You may incur additional costs if you wish to subscribe to phone and cable TV. Students are strongly recommended to get content insurance as the University is not responsible for loss or damage of personal property for any reason.

How long is the residence occupancy for?

Your residence occupancy is effective for the 2018-2019 Fall and Winter academic terms but excludes the winter holiday closure period when the residences are closed. Students are required to make alternative living arrangements during the closure period but students who live out-of-province may appeal to stay in residence if they have no alternative accommodation and will be charged a $250 flat fee if they are approved.

When is move-in and move-out for the 2018-2019 academic year?

Official move-in day for new students changes from year to year depending on the official start of classes and orientation dates, and will be communicated to students at the application time. Move-out is 24 hours after the student completes their F/W term classes/exams.

Do you have Summer Residence?

Yes, limited spaces will be offered during the Summer 2018. Please contact the Housing Office directly at glendon@yorku.ca for this inquiry.

I will be new to university life. Will there be anybody to help me?

Absolutely! Each residence has senior live-in Residence Dons, who will be a resource to you and lend a helping hand during your transition to university life. Residence Dons report to a live-in professional Residence Life Coordinator, who is fully trained and will be a great resource to students.

Do you offer residence tours?

Definitely! It’s a great idea for you to come for a campus or residence tour. You can view our schedule and sign up online by emailing us at: glendon@yorku.ca.

We also invite you to view our virtual tours and testimonials.


Note: Housing Services strives to ensure the completeness and accuracy of information contained on this website, however, we reserve the right to change any of the information at any time without notice.